Friday, December 11, 2009

Feeling Sorry for Celia - Recommendation

I read the book Feeling Sorry for Celia by Jaclyn Moriarty, and I would rate this book a 9 out of 10. I really liked the whole book, but was kind of confused at how the book was all written in letters. It was kind of weird that when the different clubs and societies wrote to Elizabeth, they wrote things about the other clubs’ letters. Like when one club would say “Elizabeth, you should stop running in marathons” another club would say “Don’t listen to that club, keep on going!”. It was a little less confusing after you got used to it and got farther on in the book. I also didn’t like how Celia kept running away. First she ran away and join the circus, then Elizabeth rescued her, next she ran away with Saxton (her boyfriend) to go jump off a cliff, but she was stopped, and after that she ran away with Saxton, Maddie (Christina’s cousin) and Maddie’s boyfriend to go to New York, but were found and stopped before they could get plane tickets. Why did she keep running away? Why not just stay at her house? Well, Celia was already a peculiar person, maybe the author just added in to make the book more interesting.
I think my favorite part in the book was when Elizabeth and Saxton rescued Celia from the circus she ran away to. They brought Celia to Saxton’s aunt’s house and had to stay there for a long time after because Celia was so sick. I like this part because I thought it was really cool that Elizabeth would do all that for her best friend. But it made me kind of sad when they got back from Saxton’s aunt’s house and started going back to school again that Elizabeth and Celia were drifting apart.
I don’t really know who I would recommend this book to, but I’d recommend it. The book is mostly about friends and Elizabeth learning to like who she is, so I’m guessing that mostly only girls would read this book. The book doesn’t really take a huge amount of time to read because the end of every part’s always the beginning of something suspenseful. Elizabeth’s always trying to think of a way to save Celia from what ever crazy idea that came to her head and made her run away. The book’s really unpredictable and exciting.

1 comment: